As mentioned, I create the OSM lists, so I hope these neutral observations help the discussion:

Yes, indeed the OSM list system works in as loose and free-wheeling manner as possible along the support-but-not-control mission of the OSMF. So unless I can think of a really strong reason, I just go ahead and create whatever list is requested provided that it is in some way OSM-related and that it is free for anyone to join and participate subject to etiquette guidelines. I may nudge and suggest a bit, for example a better name or pointing out a potential overlap with another list, but that is all. To my recollection, I've only sought board guidance once. For OSM Just Do It ethos, it works well.

However, I can see a number of reasons why a little time for HOT to discuss and have a good collective strategy is a good thing:

1) We (OpenStreetMap) do draw a firm distinction between OSM and OSMF, i.e. a broad community with fuzzy membership and a, well, bureaucratic organisation with with specific finite membership. In line with that, our osmf-* lists are only generated after broader discussion and may involve board sanction. Should HOT reflect that distinction in some way?

2) When OpenStreetMap started, we did not explicitly consider branding. So it is not always clear what "OpenStreetMap" refers to. That can be a good thing, someone starts a weird project, it turns out to be useful and is absorbed into the OSM universe. But it can be a bad thing if someone represents themselves to governmental or commercial organisations in a way that might be damaging to the overall project. So, having a discussion over about some control over who and how folks can use the word "HOT" or "Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team" is worth having?

Mike