On 8/19/2014 11:14 AM, Andrew Buck wrote:
Maps are reference works and I would think that I can look at them
>  as they are presented on the web (apparently with permission) while
>  doing some geographic related task without violating the spirit or
>  letter of copyright.
No, we can't use them even in that way, as that is still taking
information from it, it is just harder to do but that doesn't change
the legality of it.  In either case you are producing a derived work
of the map and you need permission to do that.

Aye, understood. Thank you for the clarification.

Blake