On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 19:45:54 +0000
Dan S <danstowell+...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ray,
>
> Thanks for all your efforts! To answer your questions:
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to go through and add the source tag to
> objects, based on your own working out what the source probably was.
> Very often the source IS already given, but it's in the changeset
> comment=* or source=* tag, not on the object itself. Even if that
> isn't the case, I don't think it's a good idea to guess.

Makes sense. The database-geek in me balks at this. And my
inner-database-geek is very loud. Perhaps that means I need to learn
more about the validation stuff that goes on. We will see.

> About the software edits, well, it's hard to say for certain, and if
> you can link to specific examples it'd help. There are often some bits
> of imported data which look kinda weird, and I've been told off in the
> past for deleting tags just cos they looked weird ;) - there may be a
> specific deliberate reason they're there, or they may be the result of
> a bad import, but in most cases the weird tags are doing no harm, and
> we probably shouldn't delete them in case someone has a purpose for
> them. If they're bugging you then you could look at the object
> history, work out who imported them, and contact them.

Yep. I got out of the edits and wrote this and could not find the
features I had seen. Will examine more closely when I see them again.

thanx - ray