From: Rafael Avila Coya [mailto:ravilac...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2015 2:25 PM
To: hot@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [HOT] Humanitarian Mapping for a class

Hi, Thomas:

I don't see a way to measure the time they are mapping. For example, they can
make changes to the map during 30 minutes or an hour but upload them in only
one changeset. Even if you ask them to upload every 5 minutes during 30
minutes, a lazy student could make just a house, upload and go on listening
music until next 5 minutes time.

I think the best you can do is to review the history of each user and see how
many objects each one has created, modified and deleted, and that way have an
estimation of how long they have been mapping.

Alternatively, you might consider changing time for objects, requesting for
example a minimum of new roads, buildings or whatever, instead of time.

Cheers,

Rafael.

On 22/01/15 19:53, Mueller, Thomas wrote:
> Hello
>

> Hello, I have been working slowly trying to integrate humanitarian
> mapping into my classes and students’ education over the past couple
> of years .  I am a Geography professor, but I admit I am a jack of all
> trades master of none (as I teach crime mapping, demographic analysis,
> GIS, etc.)  I have tried several small projects– some successful and
> others not so successful.  This year in one of my upper level classes
> I have assigned a Humanitarian Mapping assignment.  The students will
> be working on the Mapping Kamrangirchar (Dhaka, Bangladesh).  I felt
> this was a good project for my students since there are quite a few
> structures that need to be mapped.    I am requesting that my students
> spend 30 minutes per week, every week mapping structures for this
> project.  Obviously this should not be a difficult for them, but I am
> hoping it will accomplish several objectives including:
>
> 1)      Help map the area
>
> 2)      Help the students understand how they can “donate” their time to
> help (within a topic in their field)
>
> 3)      Hopefully this will become part of their routine so they will
> continue, etc.
>

> Also it will make sure that I donate my time too to this endeavor.
>

> I have one question – how is the best way for me to check that they
> have completed this assignment every week?  Should I have them copy
> and paste their history on to a Word Document?  Is there a better way?
>

> Hopefully if this project is successful, then I am hoping to integrate
> this assignment into more of my classes.
>

> Thank you for your time
>
> Tom Mueller
>

> Thomas R. Mueller, Ph.D., GISP
> *Advisor: Geography Major with GIS and Emergency Management
> Concentration* *Co - Director: Pennsylvania View** *Department of
> Earth Sciences, California University of Pennsylvania
>
> "A man never gets to this station in life without being helped, aided,
> shoved, pushed and prodded to do better." - Johnny Unitas

Twitter: http://twitter.com/ravilacoya

Por favor, non me envíe documentos con extensións .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx,
.ppt, .pptx, aínda podendoo facer,  non os abro.