On 1/22/2015 10:53 AM, Mueller, Thomas wrote:

Obviously this should not be a difficult for them, but I am hoping it will accomplish several objectives including:

1)Help map the area

2)Help the students understand how they can “donate” their time to help (within a topic in their field)

3)Hopefully this will become part of their routine so they will continue, etc.

I would recommend you start off with an assignment mapping their area - it's much easier to learn to map when you know what an area looks like from personal experience.

I have one question – how is the best way for me to check that they have completed this assignment every week? Should I have them copy and paste their history on to a Word Document? Is there a better way?
If you get their OSM username you can then view their contributions for the last week and check their changesets. Tools like achavi (http://nrenner.github.io/achavi/) can be used to visualize a changeset and hdyc (http://hdyc.neis-one.org/) can be used to look a users total contributions.