On 2/3/2015 11:59 PM, Willy Bakker wrote:

Firstly, which editor would you recommend for beginners? In Berlin during the Open Knowledge Festival I attended a HOT workshop where the iD editor was used; at the mapping party in Antwerp in december they used JOSM. Which one is the best for beginners?

Assuming that the computers are capable of running both JOSM and iD, I would recommend iD for beginners. I mainly use JOSM myself, but find myself using iD more for some edits.

iD's presets make it significantly easier for mappers to tag objects appropriately as the raw tags are abstracted from them. JOSM's presets do not do this as well, still being focused on the raw tags. iD should have everything needed for a normal mapping workflow, while JOSM presents many tools useless to most mappers.

Stepping through the built-in tutorial will get most people up to speed for what they need to know to start mapping, and gives you a starting point for your workshop.