You can make a case for both, but if bandwidth or Internet connection is an
issue then I understand iD is more sensitive to this so JOSM might be more
appropriate and if you have more experienced mappers present to assist they
will almost certainly be more familiar with JOSM.  Raspberry Pi ain't the
most powerful single card computer out there but at 4.5 million and
counting the processes and documentation available mean it is often the
computer of choice for some applications.  For beginners in HOT we are
essentially trying to spend as little time as possible teaching them and
getting as much useful mapping out of them as we can.  So teach them
something simple like mapping a building in a tool that is well known to
any experienced mappers we happen to have available makes a lot of sense.

If you have a group of mappers for HOT mapping then teaching them to map a
building in JOSM is quick and simple with the JOSM building tool whilst iD
defaults to area=yes when mapping buildings and I've corrected several
hundred of these already.  area=yes doesn't render very well as a building
so we've essentially wasted the beginner's mappers time.

HOT mapping often seems to involve mapping lots of buildings, very few tags
as working from imagery it is difficult to spot shops etc.  It's boring and
repetitive to say the least after the first thousand or so.  To keep people
going some feedback would be useful, tags on a few buildings or street
names would help the feeling that you aren't working in isolation and no
one will ever look at the map you are creating.

The work in Bangladesh has shown that getting information from walking
papers into OSM to enrich the tags is not as quick or simple as it could
be.  Perhaps we need some sort of standard device with OSMAND on it to add
POI information easily for HOT mapping.

If you are trying to introduce them to OSM and not be overwhelmed then iD
may well be the best choice.  If you are trying to map buildings within a
certain time frame with inexperienced mappers then JOSM building tool
plugin leaves less room for errors and is more likely to produce usable
output for HOT.  Note these are different objectives.

Cheerio John