I believe I have a more elegant way for mass taggings. For example if I
want to add the roads in a community that hasn't been tagged before;
usually the roads are all "highway=residential". Steps:

   - I draw all roads, ignoring crossings, not yet adding tags
   - I select all drawn lines using search "new type:way untagged". fow
   which I have an icon on the taskbar
   - I hit [SHIFT]i to add all crossings
   - I select the lines again
   - I tag them all as highway=residential, for which I also have an icon
   on the taskbar.

Regards,

Jan van Bekkum