Spring,
When I talk about "moving the imagery" that is only to align it with Bing
imagery as I work in a very localized area, in order to confirm that the
features are (roughly) correctly located, relative to Bing. It does not
change the geo-referencing of the underlying data for other users - it is
only revising it for my display. I expect that how you understood it, but
in case that wasn't clear.

I haven't personally digitized anything from the DG imagery. I have only
used it to help with interpretation where the Bing imagery is poor (low res
or cloudy). But others may be locating features from the DG imagery -
hopefully only experienced mappers with careful reference to better
geo-rectified imagery ("hopefully" being the aspect that gives us all
concern, of course).

I fully agree this is not "best practice" for digital mapping - it's "best
available" within resource constraints for crisis response.

By the way, you may already be very familiar with this, but the elevation
aspect of ortho-rectification is described here (see image at top-right):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthophoto. Or see the first image in this
page: http://www.kevinroper.org/portfolio/ . These explain why the more
severe off-nadir angle causes greater location distortion, more difficult
to correct for.