This is a great thread and I wanted to provide some additional information on
behalf of DigitalGlobe:

1)      Our goal in collecting imagery and making it available via open license
is to provide as much data as possible given the humanitarian nature of this
event. This means we use our satellites in a manner not typically seen. Charlie
did a great job summarizing this in his recent blog [1]

2)      Given this, we are actually swiveling our satellites to “point” at
Nepal even when our orbits are not directly over Nepal. As an example, a
satellite may be vertically overhead Bangladesh, yet, the satellite is looking
back at Nepal. This is actually quantified and measured in the image metadata
by referencing the Off Nadir Angle[2] and Target Azimuth. In typical
circumstances, best accuracy is achieved when Off Nadir angle is less than 20
degrees. In these cases, the ground RMSE is within a few meters [3] . However,
the events in Nepal are not considered to by typical circumstances, and in some
cases, we are pushing Off Nadir Angles above 40 degrees.

3)      I wanted to confirm that all imagery is indeed ortho-rectified and
geo-corrected to the best of our ability considering timeliness and the fact
many many people and organizations are waiting for imagery and heavily
dependent on its availability. In our orthorectification process, we are
leveraging a variety of elevation models. Important to note that most elevation
models have linear error that can range from 5-15m. [4] As the off nadir angle
increases, these inaccuracies in the elevation model propagate into horizontal
displacements in the imagery. This is why we are seeing large offsets.

4)      The tradeoff here is timely, massive amounts of post event imagery
acquired under less than ideal circumstances containing horizontal error, or,
very limited imagery only collected under ideal circumstances with minimal
horizontal error. As noted below, typically, the former is preferred.

Hope this helps, Kevin

[1] - https://www.mapbox.com/blog/nepal-imagery-collection/
[2] - http://www.landinfo.com/buying-optical-satellite-imagery-2.html
[3] -