Hello Stefan & Blake,

I concur with the comments about the "tag soup" mess. As I have mentioned before, I am new to this OSM environment but have some years experience with GPS and GIS mapping and database design.

To be honest, I was appalled when I discovered that the OSM database design looked like a glorified scratchpad. I just downloaded and inspected 366,017 OSM database records. There were 18 Key Terms and scores of values. I extracted the unique combinations of keys/values and ended up with 388 records of those.

It is difficult to describe the results in detail as patterns are very hard to see with this system. Suffice it to say, there is an abundance of overlap, redundancy, ambiguity and a confusing intermingling of features and attributes. Using traditional methods of querying a database, it would be impossible to definitively extract a meaningful subset of any of the 366,000 records. Generally speaking, the problem is that one feature may be described in many different ways that are not consistent.

Having said all that, since I frequently hear how well all this mapping information is received in the field, I must conclude that this mishmash of tagging somehow creates a usable end product. It may well be that I am not aware of magic techniques that bring order to all this chaotic tagging. However, if it works, it is good. However I do believe that it will work better with a more robust database.

Sorry to offer this harsh critique, but in decades of looking at database structures for both geographical and administrative applications, I have never seen such a jumble of terminology.

Anyway, I have put together what I believe is a more appropriate Data Dictionary that generally parallels the best practices in database design. I have found this approach to be very useful, and also useful in the field, since being introduced to it by Trimble Navigation in the early 90s.

I am impressed with the enthusiasm that permeates the crowd GIS initiative but concerned that the geographical and database underpinnings may be less than ideal. My observation from creating a few software applications, is that the lesser trained are the users, the much greater investment there needs to be in the user interface and training. GIS and GPS data collection is not particularly intuitive.

My approach in projects of this kind is always to start at the far end with the users - what information are they wanting for whatever it is that they do? Then I look at the reporting requirements and finally design the data collection process to feed into that.

In the case of this emergency relief operation, I'm hard-pressed to see the value in mapping video games, hairdresser, gymnastics, karate and volleyball. To be fair, many of the other attributes could have value in providing relief services but in the record set that I downloaded, there seems to be little information related to the emergency relief effort. In over 366,000 records there are only 19 marked as aeroway = helipad.

I'm not sure just how thorough you intend to be with the "updating, streamlining and regularizing" but I would be happy to help where possible.

It would probably not be overly difficult to substitute a new feature/attribute catalogue into the OSM database. Translating the existing mass of keys and values to their new equivalent might be more challenging. Databases succeed because they conform to standard pattern sets.

Again, sorry to be less than enthusiastic but perhaps things can be improved.

        Thanks for your patience, Cheers . . . . . . . . Spring Harrison