Hi Springfield,

Here is how I get useful thematic layers out OSM:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Bgirardot/How_To_Convert_osm_.pbf_files_to_Esri_Shapefiles

And here is an example files generated through what I would guess is a similar process every 30 mins:

http://nepal.piensa.co/

Actually, I see they use a slightly different process with the same basic method, and the same software for the conversion/extraction:

https://github.com/GFDRR/osm-extract

(feedback on my thematic layers is always welcome, we want to create the most useful layers we can. Examples can be found in the wiki entry for Vanuatu typhoon response)

cheers,
Blake