Hello Blake,

Thanks for those references.  I understand the first one although it does certainly appear daunting.

The problem I see is that the long list of attributes/keys/values that are specified for inclusion in the shapefile can go out of date very often as crowd-mappers or new projects invent new key/value tags.  Having to manually inspect the "other_tags" field looks like a bottleneck that could lead to unintended query results, most likely overlooking items that have new keys.  This is a long list to keep up to date and there are quite a few of them in your example:

attributes=name,type,aeroway,amenity,admin_level,barrier,boundary,building,craft,geological,historic,land_area,landuse,leisure,man_made,military,natural,office,place,shop,sport,tourism

Anyway, I understand what you're driving at but the process seems to be overly complex and not given to reliable automation.

Has anyone created a GUI for this?  Your example for hand wiring all these INI files looks tedious and easy to screw up.  I can see that a query builder tool that presented all the keys and their values in pick lists along with the relevant operators would boost the reliability and ease the workload in creating these queries.

        Thanks for bearing with me again, Cheers . . . . . . . . Spring Harrison