Hi Thomas et al,

I've been really interested in the idea of customized editing environments,
which was one of the major ideas behind the OSMLoggingRoads project.

As althio pointed out, iD does expose custom presets and custom imagery in
a really clean, easy way.  It's pretty well documented (here
<https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/tree/master/data/presets>).  You can
also take a look at what we did; most customization is in these lines of
code
<https://github.com/jameslaneconkling/iD/blob/master/index.html#L245-L369>.
  To see it deployed, navigate to it from our Tasking Manager instance
<http://tasks.loggingroads.org/project/4>.  We've added custom imagery
layers specific to the project, and new presets (we've kept all existing
presets as well, though you could just as easily limit the presets to the
ones relevant to the project).

To customize iD, you'd have to deploy your own instance.

Feel free to reach out if you have any questions.  I'd really love to see
more customized/specialized workflows for specific projects/feature sets,
building on top of OSM's broad, generalized approach to editing.