Suzan Reed wrote:
> Who changed the tags? How do we get them changed back
> so they match JOSM and all the information about OSM and HOT?
> [...]
> The new tags (minor road etc.) do not match any of the Wikis, learning
> tools in HOT or OSM.

Oh yes they do.

highway=unclassified _means_ a minor road. It has always meant a minor road.
Ever since the highway tagging scheme was invented by Andy Robinson in 2006.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:highway
   "minor roads of a lower classification than tertiary"

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dunclassified
   "The tag highway=unclassified is used for minor public roads"

The word "unclassified" comes from the British road system, as do the other
values, "motorway", "trunk", "primary" and "secondary". The choice of word
was unfortunate in retrospect: newcomers often think that it means "a road
where I don't know the classification" (for which the correct tag is
highway=road), and I believe this has recently been observed at Missing Maps
events. Ten years on it's not realistic to change the raw tag value, but
that's why user-friendly editors such as iD and Potlatch have descriptive
presets rather than simply presenting raw tags.

If iD moving to a more descriptive preset name has made HOT documentation
out-of-date, you need to change the HOT documentation. Of course, iD is open
source so you always have the alternative of hosting a forked version as
well.

Richard