The problem is consistancy, http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features
and the internal tags differ from what one has to enter in iD.  Not
everyone has their own personal trainer at a mapperthon, not everyone uses
English.  It's not just a matter of updating in one place but many many
places.  Changing the iD tag to "Minor Rd (unclassified)" would keep the
connections and mean the existing documentation could be left as it is.

Perhaps the answer is to mechanically go through OSM and change every
single tag that says unclassified to minor road that would at least keep it
all consistant and use the same terms.

Cheerio John