Thanks for you feedback John and Blake,

I have tried to pull out some of the points raised here, for my understanding and perhaps for others:

There are different standards of mapping and to some extent different standards of validation needed, depending on the project.

In-country knowledge of the country can effect the quality of mapping/validation.

A good mapper does not mean that their are a good validator, different skill sets are needed.

The capacity to map/validate is also dependant to some degree on the the quality of the video system and screen one is using.

There seems to be a difference of quality of mapping depending on the software used: JOSM vs. iD. Is this an issue to be addressed?

Was it suggested that coaching is a good way for people to become good validators?

Certain projects could do with a certified validator but naturally to have a "badge" is not for everybody.

A link to validating guidelines http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Tasking_Manager/Validating_data

Please say if I missed and misrepresented your points.

Regards,
Graham