Hi, Dale:

My comments inline.

On 15/12/17 20:41, Dale Kunce wrote:
Rafael,
Saying things like "x is childish" is not in keeping with good manners.

Maybe not with your own, cultural, manners. It's ok for me. That's what I thought when I read his email. Honestly.

I think the larger point is that this space is not "gentle."

Not gentle for you. Not for everybody.

We clearly need a CoC or at the very least to enforce the rules we (OSM) already have in place. OSM is not so special from every other internet community. Most software projects, data projects, and even media companies have open CoC and expectations for how you behave in there space. OSM is not unique, we need to set clear expectations about how to act in this space.

"CoC at the very least", no less.

Enforce... yes, always enforce.

Software projects, data projects and media are different. I refer you to Christoff Hoffmann's emails, where he explains you clearly why OSM is not comparable to those.

And how do you think we have to behave in OSM? Not only me. Africans, Asians, Southamericans... That won't lead anywhere, I assure you.

Is it so hard for people to be nice to one another?

No. It isn't really. I use to make that effort since back to 1991, not always with success. Human beings are not perfect. But human beings usually like freedom, including speech.

I think it behoves everyone in this community to make the affirmation of being nice to one another the same way we all made the commitment to the ODBL.

ODbL and freedom of speech in the same tense. Really? The first is law; the second is something we don't need legally (nor morally nor practically).

I think it behoves us all to call out bad behavior when we see it.

Again: what is bad behaviour. Some people here don't see bad behaviour in Ralf's email. Some others do. I respect fully both of the "groups".

Keep others honest and on topic not through enforcing a CoC but through the accepting the rules outlined in the CoC or etiquette guidelines.

I have already said that etiquette guidelines are that: guidelines. I haven't seen them enforced yet, and I would like to know who would enforce them, and with what mandate.

Respectfully,

Rafael.