Hi John,

I appreciate your thoughtful and informative remarks as always here
and on the osm-talk thread, especially about the Open Location Code
discussion.

I clearly generally agree they are not a perfect solution and I am not
even sure we know all the possible use cases, but they are a very good
option at the moment, open source, light weight, easy to implement in
tools.

But I must take exception to your paragraph here:

> Translation is this allows us to give every dwelling in Africa etc its own
> address.  It is not in itself a complete addressing solution since it
> doesn't handle things like 2nd floor but it does at least take you to the
> building.

Trying out OLC in some local circumstances, driven from on the ground
up in that location is fine. If they see a possible usefulness to
them, by all means I will do everything I can to support them as they
figure out if it is something of value to the local community.

But the idea of giving every dwelling in Africa an address is not a
good way to frame it. We are not giving anyone anything. If people
wish to use these locally first, or operating locally I will help them
to the best of my ability.

But in no way do I feel we are or should be giving "every dwelling in
Africa etc its own address" and I would like to make that clear from
the start. This is a potential useful system that seems well suited to
solve some use cases in some locations but must be really wanted by
the local community and driven from the ground up, hopefully in
conjunction with other local actors in the area.

Cheers John,
blake