Hi Donal, Jiri and all,

Yes, it wasn't clear to me who was able to join or not the Google Groups.
After playing around with the settings a bit more, now it seems we can
offer a mailing list with a public record and allow more people to join the
group directly:

* TM User Group:
https://groups.google.com/a/hotosm.org/forum/#!forum/tasking-manager-users
* TM Dev Group:
https://groups.google.com/a/hotosm.org/forum/#!forum/tasking-manager-dev

In addition we've published a quick overview of all options on joining the
Tasking Manager development here:
https://github.com/hotosm/tasking-manager/blob/develop/docs/working-groups.md

I hope I was able to clarify and improve on all points raised here.

Have a great day,
Felix

On Wed, Oct 16, 2019 at 1:26 PM Donal Hunt <donal.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joining via email works for external users. Not clear if that is as a
> result of changes by the HOT admins or that different ACLs are at play.
>

> On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 at 14:24, Donal Hunt <donal.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Note: Regarding the google group - HOT likely have the index of mailing
>> list restricted (common for most organisations) so external users will not
>> be able to subscribe directly via the web interface (I suspect email may
>> result in the same deadend but I haven't validated the ACLs there). This is
>> likely why email addresses were being gathered through a form - they need
>> to be manually add to the group by the group owner / moderator. Purely a
>> case of a design decision Google have made around their G Suite product. :/
>>

>> On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 at 06:33, Felix Delattre <felix.delat...@hotosm.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Jiri,

>>> Thanks for the feedback!
>>>
>>> The Tasking Manager is free and open (source) and its development is
>>> completely transparent, with a public history and actively seeking
>>> collaboration through Github.
>>>
>>> Of course everybody is free to decide, whether to follow the invitation
>>> to the TM groups or not! It is unfortunate that it doesn't fulfill your
>>> criteria. I can understand your concerns and probably it is best for you to
>>> participate through our Github repository, you seem to be well familiar
>>> with and everything is kept in a public history.
>>>
>>> The groups are an additional offer for people who don't feel very
>>> comfortable with Github and still want to give us input. It is an
>>> opportunity for us to connect with the users of the TM. We also figured out
>>> that sometimes it is good to talk in person, or over voice and video (we
>>> also don't record these meetings).
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Felix
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sent from my phone;  if there are typos I will still be quite annoyed at
>>> myself.

*Felix Delattre*
Technical Project Manager
felix.delat...@hotosm.org