Dear Manon and HOT community,

I have mainly 2 points about this new tagging proposal:

  *   It seems resonable to me to use the 'old' tag ( amenity=social_facility +
social_facility=shelter + social_facility:for=* ) for small refugee sites or
even single facilities. But, according to my experience mapping in Africa, up
to now this tag schema had been used also for big refugee sites, which is
actually the new tag you are proposing. Many of those refugee sites (already on
OSM) are coming from UN-related activities as well (and not only), conducted in
the past. Maybe it can be interesting to explore the situation on the map
further by checking those sites first.
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:social_facility%3Dshelter)
[Nodes] 1 420   3.37 %
[Ways]  2 219   6.51 %
[Relations]     44      2.17 %

  *   Motivated also from the first point, could you elaborate why are you
proposing an amenity=refugee_site and not a social_facility=refugee_site? This
could help not to have a totally different situation wrt the previous tagging
schema. I don't know if this option had already been discussed. In
(https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dsocial_facility) also
outdoor area is considered part of the facility.

Thanks,
Michael

--
Michael Montani
GIS Consultant, Client Solutions Delivery Section

Brindisi | Phone: +39 0831 056985 | Mobile: +39 3297193455 | Intermission: 158
6985
E-mail: michael.mont...@un.org<mailto:m...@un.org> |
www.ungsc.org<http://www.ungsc.org>