Yevgeny,

I'm sorry you are having this experience with HPLIP.

You will want to review the install docs at:

http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/step2/fc4.html

You are most likely having troubles because SELinux is enabled. Please disable SELinux, run "/etc/init.d/hplip restart" delete your printer from CUPS, and then re-run hp-setup.

Thanks.

Yevgeny V. Mospan wrote:
Hello,

I am using 2.6.17-1.2141_FC4smp kernel (FC4 x86_64) and recently purchased HP-DeskJet 6980. I went to hp.com/go/linuxprinting <http://hp.com/go/linuxprinting> and followed all the instructions. Downloaded hplip configured with --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib64, did make and make install. All went well...
Then my first problems started:
When i did

/etc/init.d/hplip restart
I got
Stopping hpiod:                                            [FAILED]
Stopping hpssd:                                            [FAILED]
Starting hpiod:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting hpssd:                                            [  OK  ]

Also I tried hp-setup and it gave me :
#hp-setup

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.6.7)
Printer/Fax Setup Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: Unable to connect to hpiod.

At the same time installing my printer via CUPS worked just fine (with hpjis). And I can print pdf and ps files, it seems pictures can be printed (didn't check the quality yet).
When again trying to start hp-toolbox I get:
# hp-toolbox

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.6.7)
HP Device Manager ver. 6.2

Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

error: Unable to connect to HPLIP I/O. Check and make sure HPLIP is running.
error: Unable to create client object.

Also in my KDE Utilities I have an item called HP Device Manager, which hangs-up when called (doesn't work)

When running hp-check I get
# hp-check

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.6.7)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 2.1

Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Basic system info...
--> Linux jenya 2.6.17-1.2141_FC4smp #1 SMP Fri Jun 30 15:09:55 EDT 2006 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Currently installed version...
--> 1.6.7

Checking Python version...
--> Version 2.4.3 installed.
--> OK

Checking for user interface dependencies...
Checking for SIP...
--> OK
Checking for PyQt...
--> OK
Checking Qt version...
--> Version 3.3.4 installed.
--> OK
Checking SIP version...
--> Version 4.2.1 installed
--> OK
Checking PyQt version...
--> Version 3.14.1 installed.
--> OK

Checking for library dependencies...
Checking for libnetsnmp...
--> OK
Checking for libjpeg...
--> OK
Checking for libusb...
--> OK
Checking for libcrypto...
--> OK
Checking for libpthread...
--> OK

Checking for application dependencies...
Checking ghostscript...
--> Version 7.07
Checking gcc...
--> gcc (GCC) 4.0.2 20051125 (Red Hat 4.0.2-8)
--> OK
Checking make...
--> GNU Make 3.80
--> OK
Checking ReportLab (optional)...
warning: Not installed. Fax coverpage support will be disabled.

Checking kernel module...
Checking for ppdev (optional)...
warning: Not found. Parallel printers will not work properly with HPLIP.

Checking for CUPS...
--> scheduler is running
--> OK

Checking existing CUPS queues...
  Printe  Device URI          HPLIP Installed?
  hp6980  usb:/dev/usb/lp0           No

Note: Any CUPS queues that are not 'HPLIP Installed', must be installed
with the 'hp:' or 'hpfax:' backends to have them work in HPLIP. Refer
to the install instructions on http://hplip.sourceforge.net for more help.

If any errors or warnings were reported, please refer to the installation instructions at:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/index.html

I found similar problems in your posts, but never seemed to find the solution.....

Many thanks for your time in advance.
--Eugene