For the HP tools to work the printer needs to use the hp:/ backend. Would it be possible to remove hplip and install using the source from hplip.sf.net?

If not try deleting the printer queues and run hp-setup to configure the printer. I could never get printerdrake to do it correctly, and it's rather more difficult.

Hope this helps.

Mandi wrote:
Hi.

I have an Office Jet 5510, that was working very well with HPOJ and Mandrake 10.1. I recently upgraded to Mandriva 2006 to resolve other issues on the host, and have lost the ability to use the printer and scanner functions (i've never tried the faxing from the computer).

I removed all of the HPOJ software that wasn't caught by rpm dependencies, but the MDV versions of HPLIP for 2006 didn't work at all with the printer, either as usb:// or hp:/

so, i have built the 1.6.9 HPLIP software from the Mandriva 2007 RC srpms. I have the following installed:

hplip-1.6.9-0.1.20060mdk
hplip-model-data-1.6.9-0.1.20060mdk
hplip-hpijs-ppds-1.6.9-0.1.20060mdk
hplip-hpijs-1.6.9-0.1.20060mdk

I have these sane packages installed:
libsane1-1.0.16-5mdk
libsane1-devel-1.0.16-5mdk
libsane-hpaio1-1.6.9-0.1.20060mdk (from hplip srpm)
sane-backends-1.0.16-5mdk
sane-frontends-1.0.13-2mdk
xsane-0.97-2mdk

After installing these versions, printerdrake was able to find the printer, and installed it with a usb:// uri into CUPS. none of the HP utilities work, and CUPS doesn't see the printer as an hp:/ device. I see the hp "no device found" listings for printer and scanner devices in the CUPS options when trying to install the device by hand. With the usb:// uri, i can print to the printer but sane does not see any scanners.

I've tried manually switching the device uri in /etc/cups/printers.conf to
DeviceURI different hp:/usb/ uris, but I haven't hit on one that comes up as a supported model name.

The hp daemons are running
root      2778  0.0  0.1  37364  1288 ?        Ss   Oct19   0:00 ./hpiod
root 2791 0.0 0.8 9128 5620 ? S Oct19 0:09 python ./hpssd.py

Is there something else I can look for?  The output of hp-check is below.

thanks,
--mandi

(xsane is installed; i have a magic cookie problem i'm also working on since upgrading)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ hp-check

HP Linux Imaging and Printing System (ver. 1.6.9)
Dependency/Version Check Utility ver. 3.1

Copyright (c) 2003-6 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, LP
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
This is free software, and you are welcome to distribute it
under certain conditions. See COPYING file for more details.

Basic system info... --> Linux bucket 2.6.17-5mdv #1 SMP Wed Sep 13 14:32:31 EDT 2006 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz unknown GNU/Linux

Currently installed version...
--> OK, HPLIP 1.6.9 currently installed.

HPLIP running? --> Yes, HPLIP is running (OK).

HPOJ running? --> No, HPOJ is not running (OK).

Checking Python version...
--> OK, version 2.4.1 installed
Checking for dependency 'libcrypto (libcrypto - OpenSSL cryptographic library)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'gcc (gcc - GNU Project C and C++ Compiler)'... --> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'sane (SANE - Scanning library)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'gs (GhostScript - PostScript and PDF language interpreter and previewer)'... --> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'libjpeg (libjpeg - JPEG library)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'libpthread (libpthread - POSIX threads library)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'make (make - GNU make utility to maintain groups of programs)'... --> OK, found. Checking for dependency 'python-devel (python-devel - Python development files)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'reportlab (Reportlab - PDF library for Python)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'pyqt (PyQt - Qt interface for Python)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'cups-devel (cups-devel- Common Unix Printing System development files)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'ppdev (ppdev - Parallel port support kernel module.)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'libusb (libusb - USB library)'... --> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'scanimage (scanimage - Shell scanning program)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'libnetsnmp-devel (libnetsnmp-devel - SNMP networking library development files)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'python2x (Python 2.2 or greater - Python programming language)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'lsb (LSB - Linux Standard Base support)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'xsane (xsane - Graphical scanner frontend for SANE)'... error: Not found!

Checking for dependency 'cups (cups - Common Unix Printing System)'... --> OK, found.

Checking for dependency 'python23 (Python 2.3 or greater - Required for fax functionality)'...
--> OK, found.

Checking existing CUPS queues... Printer Device URI HPLIP Installed? ------------ ------------------------------------------------------ -------------------- HPOffJet5500 usb://hp/officejet%205500%20series?serial=MY47UG119M96 No
note: Any CUPS queues that are not 'HPLIP Installed', must be installed
note: with the 'hp:' or 'hpfax:' backends to have them work in HPLIP. Refer note: to the install instructions on http://hplip.sourceforge.net for more help.

If any errors or warnings were reported, please refer to the installation instructions at:
http://hplip.sourceforge.net/install/index.html