Could you try using hp-scan? I tested 600 dpi scanning with it extensively,
and it seemed to work fine. The command would be:

hp-scan -n -r600 -mlineart -xraw -otest.png

(use hp-scan --help for a full list of options. The above cmd will save the
output as a PNG file, you can also save in JPG format. Sorry, PNM format is
not available.)

-Don