If the injected URL parameters should happen to collide with an accepted parameter, then there could be unpredictable results. For example, if HPR accepted the "Friends Being Cool Listeners In December" parameter:

http://hackerpublicradio.org/correspondents.php?hostid=387&fbclid=bobjonkman

but then Facebook appends another fbclid parameter and who knows what would happen...

It is likely that Facebook's parameter encodes personally identifiable data. The danger to privacy comes when someone copies the URL from Facebook on another site that gathers Facebook stats. Now that other site has information on who originally posted the link, and possibly who copied it, and from 'referer' data, where it was posted to, and how often it gets clicked on.

I think HPR's current behaviour (treat invalid parameters as an attack) is correct, even if a bit drastic. Perhaps a more explanatory error message would help educate people about this privacy issue, eg. "412 Precondition Failed: The URL submitted contained invalid data, likely added by commercial social media to track personal information. To protect privacy, HPR rejects this URL."

--Bob.

On 2020-09-09 6:10 p.m., Cedric De Vroey via Hpr wrote:
Op wo 9 sep. 2020 om 23:55 schreef Kevin O'Brien <zwil...@zwilnik.com>:

Wouldn't accepting parameters from others pose a security problem? I tend
to think it expands the attack surface.

No it doesn't really, as long as you use named parameters, and as long as
you implement proper sanitation on those parameters you should be fine from
a security perspective. However, there are privacy concerns that could be
made over this practice since it could be used to track users.

Regards,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien
z <ahuka5...@gmail.com>wil...@zwilnik.com