Sounds like there is beginning to be quite some interest in this subject.

We are about to go back into full lock down here in southeast UK, so I
will be devoting some time to getting some characters generated and
doing some serious reading to get to the point where I might be able to
at least take part in a small adventure as a player character in an
episode or two for HPR.

I like the idea of sound scapes and effects being added, but that sounds
like a lot of work for the DM.

And as any others being interested in taking part are likely to be
widespread in timezone terms, it might be hard to get everybody together
at the same time.

On 01/11/2020 06:04, Klaatu wrote:
> Off the top of my head:
>
> Set input to the "Monitor of " your desired input device
>
> Fire off sounds using whatever app you want to use; I could see LMMS locally,
> or Gridsound.com in your browser, as being convenient tools for this.
>
> I guess combining the streams of your voice and the Monitor soundboard is the
> tricky part. I'm not 100% sure how that would be done, as I haven't thought
> it
> through. Maybe just signing into your online game with 2 separate accounts
> and
> clients.
>

> On Sunday, November 1, 2020 2:49:44 PM NZDT epicanis+...@dogphilosophy.net
> wrote:
>> You know, this makes for an excellent excuse for me to an
>> HPR-episode-request and/or request for pointers about something I've
>> been trying to figure out.
>>
>> Even for people with ordinary visual acuity, I still think more
>> attention audio would be great for TTRPGs, especially ones run
>> virtually. For example, it's doesn't seem to be uncommon for the DM to
>> post a picture of a place the PCs have walked into (which might possibly
>> have some visual clues of some sort in the details). What if the DM also
>> had a "soundscape" prepared for locations, like low-whistling wind and
>> very echo-y dripping-water sounds for the large cavern, or clinking of
>> dishes and faint bardic music amid the walla-walla of background
>> conversation in a crowded inn?
>>
>> (And then, for example, if the DM has a "bonus clue" they want to offer
>> to the players, they might push a button on a soundboard to insert a
>> brief, faint but comprehensible snippet of conversation into the noise
>> of the Inn, or if the PCs are being stalked through the caverns - an
>> occasional out of place scuffing or shuffling noise, and if the players
>> notice, the PCs notice).
>>
>> Plus, of course, the potential for real-time audio effects applied to
>> voices of NPCs, like perhaps a slight vocoder effect for a golem, or an
>> unnaturally-deep pitch-shift for the Great Demon-Lord Doombelch, etc.
>>
>> So, along those lines, lately I've been wondering how to construct a
>> real-time combination of
>> microphone/"filters"/soundboard/pre-recorded-audio-stream that could be
>> applied to any online conferencing system. I feel certain this is doable
>> (I know it's at least *possible* to define a "virtual" microphone with
>> pulseaudio) but I haven't been able to figure out where to start.
>>
>> Anybody willing to record an episode (or just point me at some
>> appropriate resources) on ways one might put together something that
>> works like that? Can it be done in "pure" pulseaudio? Or maybe this is
>> the kind of thing Jack is for?
>>
>> Or maybe someone's already done this and I just didn't notice it in the
>> HPR archives...
>>
>> On 10/29/20 3:43 AM, Andrew Conway wrote:
>>> Hi Mike
>>>
>>> I play D&D with Klaatu's HPR group and I've been amazed at how
> [...]

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

https://cromarty.github.io/
http://eyesfreelinux.ninja/
http://www.raspberryvi.org/