Klaatu,

Having done a load of reading and having asked some questions on the FB
forum I have joined, seems I have been in something of a misapprehension
in the past.

I have always thought of a player character as something that travels
with it's human owner. From campaign to campaign.

The majority opinion on Facebook, those opinions which did not come with
a big shovel of trolling and snark, seems to be one should create a
character from anew for each campaign.

So if we do a little episode or two about blind D&Ding in fifth edition,
I guess our first task could be for you to guide me through creating a
character.

I fancy a paladin, or some other kind of magic user. Preferably one who
is also a bit of a bruiser.

I assume you are still in NZ. I can be around weekday mornings early
UTC, if that corresponds to a good time for you. I'm 13 hours behind
Wellington. Weekday mornings are more likely to be quietish here,
without my great nieces toddlers making a racket.

Mike

On 01/11/2020 06:04, Klaatu wrote:
> Off the top of my head:
>
> Set input to the "Monitor of " your desired input device
>
> Fire off sounds using whatever app you want to use; I could see LMMS locally,
> or Gridsound.com in your browser, as being convenient tools for this.
>
> I guess combining the streams of your voice and the Monitor soundboard is the
> tricky part. I'm not 100% sure how that would be done, as I haven't thought
> it
> through. Maybe just signing into your online game with 2 separate accounts
> and
> clients.
>

> On Sunday, November 1, 2020 2:49:44 PM NZDT epicanis+...@dogphilosophy.net
> wrote:
>> You know, this makes for an excellent excuse for me to an
>> HPR-episode-request and/or request for pointers about something I've
>> been trying to figure out.
>>
>> Even for people with ordinary visual acuity, I still think more
>> attention audio would be great for TTRPGs, especially ones run
>> virtually. For example, it's doesn't seem to be uncommon for the DM to
>> post a picture of a place the PCs have walked into (which might possibly
>> have some visual clues of some sort in the details). What if the DM also
>> had a "soundscape" prepared for locations, like low-whistling wind and
>> very echo-y dripping-water sounds for the large cavern, or clinking of
>> dishes and faint bardic music amid the walla-walla of background
>> conversation in a crowded inn?
>>
>> (And then, for example, if the DM has a "bonus clue" they want to offer
>> to the players, they might push a button on a soundboard to insert a
>> brief, faint but comprehensible snippet of conversation into the noise
>> of the Inn, or if the PCs are being stalked through the caverns - an
>> occasional out of place scuffing or shuffling noise, and if the players
>> notice, the PCs notice).
>>
>> Plus, of course, the potential for real-time audio effects applied to
>> voices of NPCs, like perhaps a slight vocoder effect for a golem, or an
>> unnaturally-deep pitch-shift for the Great Demon-Lord Doombelch, etc.
>>
>> So, along those lines, lately I've been wondering how to construct a
>> real-time combination of
>> microphone/"filters"/soundboard/pre-recorded-audio-stream that could be
>> applied to any online conferencing system. I feel certain this is doable
>> (I know it's at least *possible* to define a "virtual" microphone with
>> pulseaudio) but I haven't been able to figure out where to start.
>>
>> Anybody willing to record an episode (or just point me at some
>> appropriate resources) on ways one might put together something that
>> works like that? Can it be done in "pure" pulseaudio? Or maybe this is
>> the kind of thing Jack is for?
>>
>> Or maybe someone's already done this and I just didn't notice it in the
>> HPR archives...
>>
>> On 10/29/20 3:43 AM, Andrew Conway wrote:
>>> Hi Mike
>>>
>>> I play D&D with Klaatu's HPR group and I've been amazed at how
> [...]

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when
there is nothing left to take away." -- A. de Saint-Exupery

https://cromarty.github.io/
http://eyesfreelinux.ninja/
http://www.raspberryvi.org/