At 12:54 PM +0200 5/24/00, Marcel Hicking wrote:
>I have been doing this for a much smaller site:
>I have set up a little shell script to generate
>a list with all available files and send it through
>sed to convert local paths to http://...-URLs.
>ht://dig is set up with  start_url=allfiles.list
>and a local_urls line to "undo" the above mapping
>again.
>
>Do you think this is appropriate for a larger search
>or do you have any other suggestions?

For now this is probably fine. The 3.2 code has a file:// access
method, which would be idea for this purpose. One missing feature--it
doesn't auto-generate directory listings on-the-fly. Of course if
someone would be willing to write this, then indexing collections of
local files would be very easy.

--
-Geoff Hutchison
Williams Students Online