If I can try to help here.  First time writing mail to this type of mailing
so please forgive me.

Jason, (I hope that I get these names correct), you are talking and thinking
directory structures.  Starting at the directory where your home page is and
perusing files.

Dennis is talking web structures which I think is how htdig works.  Imagine
a spider crawling around a web perusing the files (links) that it discovers.
It 'recurses' down a link it discovers until it does all possible links.
The only difference between this and the directory tree walk is that you
have to keep track of the links you've visited since many pages might have a
link back to your home page for example.  If you blindly followed all links,
you'd just go round and round.

Now there are many webs out there, just as there are many directories on
your disks.  You start somewhere in a directory tree by supplying a
directory to a program that walks through (recurses) the tree visiting all
the leaves below that directory.

You start a spider on a particular web by supplying a url.  The spider
begins to walk a web branch (recurses) when it discovers a link on the
current page.  When that branch is exhausted, it then continues until it
discovers another link (url).  It does this until it has walked all links in
that particular web.

Now just because you have files in your directory that you use for your web
files does not necessarily mean that those files are on your web.  Yes, you
can access these with a browser.  But can you go to one page and by just
clicking on hyperlinks visit all of these files.  As soon as you have to
type in a url, you have discovered a file that htdig will not find.

These files do not have to be listed on the home page.  But they do need to
be accessible via links on your web site.  They have to be in a url in one
of the pages that the spider began crawling through.  I define web site by
all of those files connected to some page.  Usually, I think most people
think of that page as the home page but it doesn't have to be.  So those
files that you want htdig to find must exist somewhere on the web in a
link.+

I hope that this helps.