On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, crosstar wrote:

> The last message I got from Fred indicated that htdig would not index
> and find files unless they are listed in some upper-level file which
> includes an <a href="....  link to them.

Think of the files as a "link tree" or, if you will, a map. You're
starting from whatever point or points listed in the htdig.conf. If
there's an HTML link (a few types are recognized), it will follow that,
add new links, etc.

> We do have some links by way of a java applet directory;  however, Fred
> indicates that that will not work in this application.

That won't work for any search engine--there's no way to know that that
particular applet is going to give links. (Beyond that, it won't work for
people who don't turn on Java.)

> I have tried listing the absolute URL path-statements to where these
> files are located, as a test (listing these in the htdig.conf file).
> But this has not been successful.

You can list as many URLs as you want in the start_url attribute, or you
can also include a file into the htdig.conf. e.g.:

start_url: `/path/to/urls.txt`

--
-Geoff Hutchison
Williams Students Online