FYI, I've checked the Java requirements of a few other projects:

Synapse requires Java 1.4
Axis requires Java 1.3, recommends Tomcat as platform
Tomcat 5.5 requires Java 1.5, or needs a 1.4 compatibility package

We should try to restrict use of Java 1.5 to implementation classes
and leave them out of the API. Maybe I'll split the Ant build process
to compile API and implementation classes in two steps, so we can
detect unwanted dependencies. One of these days, if time permits.

cheers,
  Roland