Folks,

I have largely finished the server side components of the event-driven
HTTP transport and am in the process of putting the final touches on the
client side components. The code is still a little rough around the
edges but so far has been holding up quite well for me. Content chunk
coding, header folding, content footers, proper protocol version
handling, expect-continue handshake are supported. The HTTP transport
should be able to handle content of arbitrary length with (almost)
content memory footprint. There is no intermediate buffering involved at
all in those cases where no content coding is required. Request /
response content gets directly read from / written to the underlying
socket channel.

Here is a sample of a simple HTTP server demonstrating the new API in
action

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/module-nio/src/examples/org/apache/http/nio/examples/NHttpServer.java

My next steps will be to complete the client side components and to
implement a compatibility layer on top of the even driven API for those
applications that rely on InputStream / OutputStream interface to
consume / produce content. Some early feedback would be _hugely_
appreciated, though.

Cheers

Oleg