Well, sessions are server related. Let me give you an idea of how sessions work:

In this example I will use "SESSID" as the cookie name, but this can
be configured, and differs in all implementations.

First Request
1. Client visits server for the first time.
2. Server checks if the "SESSID" is set, it is NOT, so it creates a
new session and generates a session ID to identify this session.
3. Server sends a "Cookie" header so teh client will create the cookie.
4. Client saves cookie for given domain.

Second request
1. Client sends request a second time
2. Client also sends all cookies it now has, in this case SESSID which
contains a string session id.
3. Server checks to see if SESSID was sent.
4. It was, so server takes this session id it received in the cookie,
and sees if it has a session by that identification
5. Server locates the session data, and loads it into instance
variables for the script/jsp/servlet/whatever.

This is basically what happens. A session is nothing more than a way
for the server to identify that the same client is visiting. This is
done with cookies 99% of the time, and sometimes with GET variables
(but same story, just a variable sent with every request containing
the session id).

Sessions are 100% server side. The client does nothing more than carry
a unique identifier, and all session variables/data is stored in a
persistent state on the server. There is no special communication or
nothing. It's nothing special.

You can create your own session implementation by simple having an
array of open sessions, and each array items is a Map<String, String>
of variable:value pairs. Then send cookies to track the clients, to
know which Map to use. Simple.

So the solution to your problems are this:
You can support the session by receiving/resending cookies on all requests.

You can do timeouts ONLY by knowing what timeout is configured on the
server and having a timer track this yourself. So if the server
session timeout is 1 hour, then have a time that checks the period of
inactivity for requests, when it exceeds 1 hour, kill the session on
your side by deleting the cookie and doing any
cleanup/reinitialization.

Alternatively, to generically support all servers, you might want to
do a periodic "is session open" request, which is basically a request
to the server that checks if the session is open. If you want to do
this, there is a very safe way to implement something like this. Just
ask me and I'll explain it (it's not as simple as checking for the
presense of a session, as this will always return true).

--
Quintin Beukes