On Sat, 2014-02-15 at 11:22 +0100, Sebastiano Vigna wrote:
> Something happened from HttpClient 4.3.1 to 4.3.2.
>
> All of a sudden, we are seeing an immense amount of CPU spent into inflating
> compressed HTTP responses. We were experimenting >5000 pages/s two months
> ago, but less than 1200 pages/s now (same hardware, etc.), for no apparent
> reason. The CPU is 100% consumed by Inflater.
>
> The absolutely weird thing is that in profiling we are spending 15% doing
> inflation and 1.5% doing deflation... and the same amount of data is going
> through the two phases. Downgrading to 4.3.1 immediately brought back the old
> performance, and we spend more time in deflation than in inflation (as it
> should be).
>
> Maybe some change in the buffer size?
>
> Ciao,

Here's the diff between 4.3.1 and 4.3.2

https://github.com/apache/httpclient/compare/4.3.1...4.3.2

The problem mostly likely has been introduced by HTTPCLIENT-1432 [1]. I
reviewed the patch once more and could not find anything obviously wrong
with it. Try reverting the changes introduced by HTTPCLIENT-1432 and see
if that resolves the problem.

Oleg

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-1432