Hey guys,

It seems that connection timeout parameter doesn't work on Linux Mint 16
(which is
basically Ubuntu). *Code runs perfectly fine on Windows.* Here's my setup :

*Windows 7 Pro x64 - OK*
Oracle Java JDK 1.7.0_51 x64

*Linux Mint 16 (Petra)  - PROBLEM*
java version "1.7.0_51"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.4.4) (7u51-2.4.4-0ubuntu0.13.10.1)

...and here's the code (attached as well) :

public static String doGET(URI uri, ResponseHandler<String> handler) {
        String response = "";
        CloseableHttpClient httpclient = null;
        try {

            httpclient = HttpClients.custom()
                    .setRetryHandler(customRetryHandler)
                    .build();

            HttpGet httpget = new HttpGet(uri);
            RequestConfig requestConfig = RequestConfig.custom()
                   * .setConnectTimeout(1000)*
                    .build();
            httpget.setConfig(requestConfig);

            // hide pass data in URI
            String toLog = hidePassInURI(uri);

            // Execute HTTP request

            logger.info("Executing request " + toLog);
            response = httpclient.execute(httpget, handler == null ? new
DummyHandler() : handler);

        } catch (ConnectException e) {
            logger.error("========================================");
            logger.error("Database is not available!");
            logger.error("========================================");
        } catch (ClientProtocolException e) {

            logger.error("",e);
        } catch (IOException e) {

            logger.error("",e);
        } finally {
            if (httpclient != null) {
                try {
                    httpclient.close();
                } catch (IOException e) {

                }
            }
        }
        return response;

    }

*Here's the retry handler :*

public boolean retryRequest(IOException exception, int executionCount,
HttpContext context) {

        logger.info("Retrying : exe count is "+executionCount);

        if (executionCount >= 10) {
            // Do not retry if over max retry count
            return false;
        }
        if (exception instanceof InterruptedIOException) {

* // Timeout - keep retrying            return true;*
        }
        if (exception instanceof UnknownHostException) {
            // Unknown host
            return false;
        }
        if (exception instanceof ConnectTimeoutException) {

* // Connection refused - keep retrying            return true;*
        }
        if (exception instanceof SSLException) {
            // SSL handshake exception
            return false;
        }
        HttpClientContext clientContext = HttpClientContext.adapt(context);
        HttpRequest request = clientContext.getRequest();
        boolean idempotent = !(request instanceof
HttpEntityEnclosingRequest);
        if (idempotent) {
            // Retry if the request is considered idempotent
            return true;
        }
        return false;
    }

*The problem : when I run this code on linux, there's no 1 sec delay
between consecutive attempts. It just*

*goes over 10 attempts and finished within ~200ms. Why?*

*Am I doing something wrong or this is a bug? Please help.*

*P.S. I'm using http client 4.3.2.*

--
Bratislav Stojanovic, M.Sc.