While using HTTP/2 only client, after approx. 12 hours the connection
is
broken and is not established anymore. Every couple of minutes async
HTTP/2 requests are sent to a Tomcat9 server. There are no errors
whatsoever but after a couple of hours every request fails until the
application running HttpClient 5.0 is restarted.

Would an evictIdleConnections() call help in this case?
Let's suppose Tomcat would close the connection after some time, what
is
Httclient 5.0's default reaction? Is it re-established transparently?

Yes, it should, I am afraid I would either need a reproducer or a full
execution log of the session that exhibits the problem.

I haven't had the chance yet to enable full logging yet, but after the first "Connection closed" Exception, and a couple of requests going through, the cause for failed connection establishment is an "I/O reactor has been shut down" Exception. That's what I could find out up to now.

br,

Can