michael crane wrote:

> exposure 0.0001
> saturation 0.0001
> contrast 1
>
> than with
> exposure  nothing
> saturation nothing
> contrast 1
>
> but still the very contrasty patterned area of a flower are chosen but
> there are subtle areas of sharpness that are ignored.
>
> how can I help things along with user input ?

You want to do focus bracketing, I assume. You can set the exposure and
saturation to 0. If you don't specify them, the default values are used
which are probably higher.

For focus stacks --hardmask is recommended. And you can experiment with
  --ContrastWindowSize

See http://wiki.panotools.org/Enfuse#Fusion_options or
http://enblend.sourceforge.net/enfuse.htm for details.

--