On Thu 02-Apr-2009 at 10:10 +0530, sumit sinha wrote:
> I find the proposal "3D Extension of Panotools Library" very
> fascinating. I feel that making the new model, for incorporating
> pictures from a shifted (and other possible ways of
> transformation) position would be really interesting.

There are two ways of looking at this:

Mosaics.  Photos taken at different locations and angles of the same
planar surface (such as a mural, row of houses, or a floor),
stitching them into either a single image or incorporating them into
a panorama.  This is the approach PTGui takes with it's 'viewpoint
correction' functionality.

Photogrammetry.  Photos taken from arbitrary locations and angles of
a 3d scene.  This involves placing control points in 3d space rather
than on a surface (as it happens at the moment in hugin).  This is
the approach the old PTStereo tool took, the only way to directly
stitch panoramas is to calculate where the 3d points would need to
appear in the 2d panorama and 'morph' the images to fit.

This second approach is less well-defined, do you want to create 3D
geometry surveys? (I'd really like to do this in hugin)
matchmoving?  panoramas?  Where do you stop?  This is potentially
an enormous project.

--
Bruno