I'm new to hugin-ptx and I'm not a resident expert but I think I can help!

The stable release is version 0.7 and it can be installed from a
self-contained, pre-compiled package on OS X.  I grab the package from
sourceforge:
http://sourceforge.net/project/platformdownload.php?group_id=77506
... though there may be a better way to link to it.  At least this way it
will default to the platform you are running your browser on.

Version 0.8 has a lot of new features but is not yet stable.  You can get
installers for various snapshots of 0.8 (that is, various points in the
development) compiled by various people at http://panospace.wordpress.com on
the downloads tab.  Luckily, there are some for OS X thanks to Harry van der
Wolf.

The latest, cutting-edge version would need to be checked out from SVN and
compiled on your own.  This is as rough for OS X as the wiki page makes it
sound and I do not recommend it unless you want to try and fix problems
you're having yourself.

I'd just stick with 0.7 myself if you want the easiest solution.

As far as being plug-and-play, Hugin is well on its way to being that and if
you stick to the 'assistant' tab (the initial tab that comes up when you
start) it will attempt to be fully-automatic.  However, this is highly
dependent on the quality of your input images.  Here, 'quality' means: taken
from the camera's nodal point, well over-lapping, using a low-distortion
lens, having plenty of good things to turn into 'control points' (i.e. not
the night sky or some other homogeneous field) as well as numerous other
things related to image stitching.

Hugin uses numerical methods to optimize the camera position for each image
and characteristics of the lens used.  These methods are susceptable to
instability and always will be.  If the assistant tab fails then you will
need to delve into the other tabs and intervene to help the numerical
routines along a bit.  even when intervention is required it's still quite
easy to use once you get the hang of it and we can help!

Cheers!
Seth

--
seth.berr...@gmail.com