Harry, Carl: Don't know if it is an old Macintosh path style, but I'm
an old Macintosher. I manually make and nest folders on the hard drive
using the "add folder" buttons (I dislike the way Åpple now wants us
to use their prenamed folders within different "Users" environments).
In this case the photos were only numbered, inside a TRAIN PHOTOS
folder, inside the PHOTOS/RK folder on my HD disc folder. Maybe that
backslash did it in the PHOTOS/RK name. (Apple in my experience
doesn't get wigged out by slashes and punctuation in it's file and
folder names like PCs do, but maybe Hugin doesn't like them either, so
I took it out just now.
I loaded them using the "Load Images" button in Hugin Assistant tab;
again, pretty straightforward.
  I will try the steps Carl suggested above regarding making discrete
project folders, and I will recopy the app again; I was concerned that
it might be conflicting with older installations of Hugin, but the
only file I found outside the Applications folder was a preferences
file in my Library. Thanks for the reply.
-Bob