Howard,

        I've enabled DEP on my system, and the programs I know to have
trouble do properly report BEX errors, so I know DEP is getting raised
appropriately. I've also confirmed with wmic that all the settings reflect
its enabled, with a value of True, 3, as you did.

        I went ahead and built a binary based on the latest SVN (for native
x64), through the full build process, including the installer. I opted for
x64 since, as noted in the Microsoft KB article and the prior e-mail, always
good to match platform and application.

        I've tried several scenarios, loading old projects, TIFFs and JPGs,
etc, and had no problem. Certainly, there are a lot of variables at play
here, so it may take some time to isolate. In the mean time, I'd suggest
following Yuval's directions of trying the last 'certified' version, in
attempt to find the basement on when this issue might have first been
introduced. This should be fairly easy and non-invasive.

        What I'd like to try as a next step, as a means of hopefully getting
more information, is getting a crashdump from you when a DEP error has been
raised.

        It's been a while since I've had to do it by hand (tend to use
API-based hooks to catch when an application crashes), so I hope you'll bear
with me if I direct you down the wrong path once or twice. Since you
mentioned Vista, the following KB article may help:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931673

        Since I don't have the symbols Ad used for his installer, I'll be
mailing you off-list a 32-bit based version on the latest SVN that I'll
compile locally. This will ensure I have the necessary debug symbol files to
wind through the stack. If this is a concern for you, we can work off-list
on directing the necessary compilation steps, just be aware that it's not
uncommon for symbols to reach hundreds of megs for large projects.

        Once you've gotten the new setup binary and everything is installed,
when you get an application crash (eg: due to DEP), see if you can follow
the directions of Method 1 as a means to intercept the crash. Once you have
that crash (located in the path specified), can you attach it and e-mail it
to me off-list? I'm not sure the default settings of Vista for creating
crashes, but a simple Crashdump of Notepad is around 50 megs. If it's too
large to e-mail, we can work off-list on a transfer mechanism. By all means,
compress compress compress! If you're unable to generate a crashdump once
it's raised a DEP error, let me know, and I'll see further if I can
investigate.

        For those following on-list, especially Bruno, if a final 'formal'
Win32 build is released, it might help to keep the symbol files around.
Certainly users can build their own binaries, preserve the symbol files, and
debug themselves, but given how most Windows users aren't necessarily handy
with compiling and debugging their software, it may be helpful for some of
the weird bugs that remain post-release (as I recall, there are a few
mystery ones out there affecting Windows users)

Ryan