Harry, I think Toshiba has less to do with the issue than the OS.  DEP
depends on both hardware and software flags.  Both are supplied by
parties outside Toshiba.  I have no doubt a buffer overflow is being
detected.  And, as I recall, this, many yarns ago, was the very first
attack on an OS:  The password buffer was 256 bytes long.  After that,
bogus passwords overwrote critical code space.

But, why now?

Looking at the history file, there have been unexplained closures of
more than hugin or GIMP; Windows Explorer also was in the list.
Presumably, closed by the hardware flag because I don't recall seeing
a message from DEP.  Perhaps the latest Windows OS update improved the
software DEP with the notification message from the system tray.  Just
conjecture...

We shall persist until a solution is identified.  Thanks to you all
for your participation.