Hi Brent,

Brent schrieb:
> From a purely empirical point of view, it appears that there is some
> undesirable linkage between these parameters that makes the
> minimization process get trapped into local minima and have difficulty
> finding a solution in some cases.

I have had the same problem, with both the tilt parameters (TiX,TiY,TiZ,
TiS) and the position parameters (TrX, TrY, TrZ). The problem that the
optimizer gets trapped in local minima isn't really something new, so we
have worked a bit around that with multi-step optimization, and
especially the incremental optimization in hugin and autooptimizer (cmd
line optimisation program, part of the hugin package). I found that with
adding image by image to the optimisation process, I didn't get really
bad random behaviour anymore, even when later "finetuning" the project
and doing reoptimisations, as the project is already close to a nice
minima (I hope....).

As for correlation between the parameters, I quite sure that d,e and
TrX, TrY are highly correlated when using rectilinear images, especially
if they are shot without large variation in yaw and pitch.

In my experiements with the graffiti wall example posted by Bruno, I got
some problems when optimizing d,e (linked between all images), even if
the solution before was quite good, and his images contain shots from
many different angles.

I haven't expected an high correlation between p and TrZ though,  so
this is interesting and should be analyzed in more detail. It might just
be that the starting point in the solution space is very far from the
global optima.

ciao
   Pablo