Pablo,
   Now that I think about it, there is something odd in the fact that
doing a multi-step optimization by changing which variables are
optimized works any better than a full optimization.  That is, if the
current solution is in a local minima with respect to 10 variables,
for example, then it will still be in a local minima if fewer than the
full number is optimized starting from that point.   If there's a way
out of trap when optimizing a subset of the variables, then that same
way out is available when more variables are allowed to vary.  So
then, why does manually choosing some subsets of variables in Hugin
seem to work better than just letting it optimize everything from the
start?

One possibility might be that there are very gently sloped valleys out
of the local minima that are below the optimizer tolerance so it
stops, whereas when there are less variables being optimized that
slope looks relatively larger and above the tolerance.  It might make
sense to try some experiments on a dataset we know finds a good minima
with multi-step optimization but not with one-shot and see if changing
the convergence tolerances allows the one-shot to work.

Brent