Just another name for (double) Pi.  It is actually defined in almost all C
and C++ math libraries, but the ISO standard language bindings disable that
definition, perhaps because it is officially supposed to be implemented as a
global double constant rather than just a symbolic value.  You can put
switches on most compilers that will make the library definition visible,
but just defining it (conditionally) yourself is easier and more portable.

-- Tom