On Nov 10, 4:46 am, Yuval Levy <goo...@levy.ch> wrote:
> the following discussion was at [0] where it is off topic. It is
> important here, hence the continuation:
>
> --- In w...@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Krause" <erik.kra...@...> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Saturday, November 07, 2009 at 22:37, yuval_levy wrote:
>  >
>  > > my opinion about that specific installer:
>  > >
>  > >http://panospace.wordpress.com/2009/11/07/hugin-2009-2-0-windows-inst...
>  >
>  > I think hugin distribution politics is far from the high quality of
>  > the software.
>
> Erik, If you think you can do better, go ahead and do it. You have all
> the necessary information, tools, and accesses to distribute Hugin
> differently.
>

>From a Windows user viewpoint I agree with Erik; the Win binary
distribution is a mess.

If you look at the number of downloads for v 0.7 then the Win
downloads (224,774) are many more than the Mac (73,199) downloads. I
don't think you can expect all those Win users to compile Hugin
themselves. Very few would have the skills to do so. Win users just
expect to have to download, then to run an installer and then to get
on with using the software.

And as you've pointed out on Panospace there is confusion about what
is being included in releases. There is a need for strict control. I
think they may be several different versions of 0.8 available for
download from different sources which may or may not be the same. It
will eventually become a nightmare if users start asking why something
doesn't work and another says it does for the same apparent version.

I'm not sure the change to more versions (2009-x) appearing more
quickly is helping. A version every three or six months would seem to
be more reasonable if the resources are not available to complete the
whole release process in a systematic manner more frequently.

To me, GIMP seems much more professional in distribution of binaries.