On 11 nov, 13:05, Ryan <scov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. Anybody can install cygwin, for free. I hear it's even possible to
> set up a mingw32 cross-compiler on linux

I'm actually trying to get this working. Currently I have an Ubuntu
9.04 installation inside VirtualBox (on Windows host), and I'm using
mingw-cross-env [0, 1] as a cross build chain. One of the policies of
mingw-cross-env is to create static libs when possible, thereby
avoiding DLL hell (quote: "creates libraries to be linked statically,
no DLL hell"). Just like the point of view of some builders on the
Hugin block.

Before being able to compile Hugin, first the dependencies have to be
cross-compiled. The setup of mingw-cross-env makes this pretty easy: a
small script called <name-of-library>.mk has to be created with some
variables pointing to download location and build instructions (with
proper arguments to create cross-compiled executables).

So far I've successfully contributed libplot to the cross-build chain.
When all necessary dependencies are built, I'll see into building
Hugin itself. If anybody else wants to contribute by helping build the
dependencies, for example, please do! More detailed instructions can
be found at [0]. Volker (the mingw-cross-env general hero) can be
contacted using the project mailing list at [2], or by email (see
bottom of [2] for the address).

If this approach is successfull, it will become easier to keep the
Windows builds in line with the Linux (and OSX) build, since in theory
they can be built on the same machine as the Linux build. I hope the
speed of the cross-build will be comparable to the MSVC build...

> 3. The "One Makefile to rule them all" I developed is a first step
> toward automated building/testing/packaging

I'll keep that one in mind for the cross-build (if I need it)!

> Unfortunately, I don't have time or means to carry it any further...
> hugin's a great tool, though, so I hope somebody can.

It sure is. I'm spending more time on Hugin than I should, really, but
it's worth it!

[0] http://www.nongnu.org/mingw-cross-env/
[1] http://hg.savannah.gnu.org/hgweb/mingw-cross-env/

Bart