The Mac version of Hugin does include the auto control point
generators in the download.  I believe you are correct that China
technically does have copyright laws but they are rarely enforced as
you note.  For all practical purposes, there is no patent or copyright
protection in China.

I am not sure you are right about the status of copyrighted works
created with infringed works.  I think there have been cases where the
produced work has had to pay the owner of the patent.  I am not an
attorney but I think that is often use the threat of lawsuits in such
cases to get money (iPix comes to mind).

As far as copyright protection the artist's creation and a patent
protecting the inventor's cash flow.  It is also true the copyright
protection protects the artist's cash flow and patents protect the
inventor's invention.

Yes you can do the control point matching by hand but I don't think
that happens in most cases any more.