Followup --

I should have said "no problem with the precompiled dll version of
glut" (built in 2002).  That is what the current Windows distro uses,
because Allard has also been unable to get a static freeglut to work.
I got confused because due to an error on my part the build was
pulling in the MinGW glut.h, which specifies freeglut as a required
link library.  I have nothing against dlls, so I'm fine with doing it
this way.

-- Tom