> I should have said "no problem with the precompiled dll version of
> glut" (built in 2002).  That is what the current Windows distro uses,
> because Allard has also been unable to get a static freeglut to work.

To be correct, I haven't really tried yet. Just copying a precompiled
dll was much easier and it worked for me as well as for everyone who
tested it before release (not too many people). I know very little
about the advantages and disadvantages of using dll's. I was planning
to give static glut a try but only because I was under the impression
that some project members who do have a clue about these issues had
decided that it might be better. What advantage can be expected from
using a static library in this case?

I haven't yet seen many complaints about nona-gui on windows but I
don't know how many people have used it. One thing I found annoying is
that even if you indicate that you don't want to use GPU stitching you
still get an error if the glut32.dll is missing, which seems
completely unnecessary to me.